Red Sox fans celebrate ALCS win on H Street

Kogan Plaza became a sea of blue and red when nearly 1,000 Boston Red Sox fans flooded H Street following their team’s victory over the New York Yankees early Thursday morning.

“I don’t think the rest of the country knows what this means to Boston fans … it’s surreal,” junior Jay Jentz said.

Boston’s victory came after the team suffered three consecutive losses to New York in the best-of-seven American League Championship Series. Boston then went on to win four consecutive games to clinch a spot in the World Series, becoming the first team in baseball history to come back from a 3-0 deficit.

“To go down 0-3, to go to game seven and win it… it’s too much. You couldn’t have written this,” Jentz said.

Metropolitan and University Police blocked H Street between 21st and 22nd streets when students started pouring into the area at about midnight.

Students chanted “Yankees suck” and called out the names of their favorite players, including Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling and outfielder Johnny Damon, who hit two home runs in Wednesday night’s game at Yankee Stadium.

“It was awesome,” said Tom Gradet. “Johnny Damon is the best player ever.”

Fans were already speculating about whom they want to see in the World Series. The St. Louis Cardinals and Houston Astros will play for the other World Series spot Thursday.

“I want to see (Roger) Clemens in Fenway,” said Noah Levinson, referring to the Astros pitcher who started his career in Boston. “But it doesn’t matter. Yankees suck!”

Other students said they hoped to return to Massachusetts to catch some of the action.

“I gotta fly home for the Series,” said sophomore Jesse Kristin.

Some Yankees fans experiencing defeat came to H Street to watch their rivals celebrate.

“I can’t believe they beat us in the Bronx,” said Alex Valenti. “I wish I could be home with other Yankees fans.”