Christopher Walken goes “Around the Bend”

“Around the Bend” (Warner Independent Pictures) is one of those movies that has serious flaws but makes up for it with heart. Directed by first-timer Jordan Roberts, “Around the Bend” brings four generations of the Lair family men together.

The cast is the heart of this movie, and the fact that this cast includes Christopher Walken (“Catch Me If You Can”) and Michael Caine (“The Quiet American”) will probably give audiences a reason to see it. And, true to form, both made something out of roles that didn’t seem to give them a whole lot to work with. Caine will charm the pants off of you in his twilight years, seeking something slightly more exciting than a traditional funeral. Most of the early laughs in this film are his doing. Walken’s character, Turner, a former jailbird and drug addict, has returned to see his father one last time while he and his own son pull skeletons from their closet. Youngster Jonah Bobo, in his first major role, shows lots of promise as Zach. At around seven years old, he makes mischief with his great-grandfather, finds the humanity in his grandfather and helps his dad with some other issues. Jason, played by Josh Lucas (“A Beautiful Mind”), is always either extremely happy or angry.

Despite this, Lucas is not the weakest link in this cast. That prize goes to Glenne Headly (“Mr. Holland’s Opus”), who plays Henry’s annoying Danish nurse. It’s a terribly written, terribly unnecessary, and terribly acted character. But luckily for us, the majority of this movie lies with the younger three generations of the Lair men, together getting to know one another, listening to loud rock music and engaging in antics that could only be done by a hardened criminal and his 7-year-old grandson. The film is made for people with relationships that only men can have.

“Around the Bend” opens in Washington, D.C. Oct. 15.