Bo Sox and Bombers ignite campus

The 2004 presidential election is only weeks away and campus division is visible. During the first two debates, the College Democrats and College Republicans screamed at each other during a rally in J Street.

However, the most divisive issue on campus may not be the election, but a different type of race. For the second straight year, the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees are facing off in the American League Championship series.

Almost 50 percent of GW’s undergraduate population is from the Boston and New York areas, and it comes as no surprise that bar arguments in the Bronx and the Fens are mirrored right here in Foggy Bottom.

One might assume that the heartbreak that the Red Sox endure year after year would drive a fan away from the team, but GW freshman and Red Sox fan Dave Forman disagrees.

“This is the year, I know it,” Forman said. “We have the pitching. Curt Schilling is going to win two games and we will win. I feel it.”

Last year, the so-called Curse of the Bambino reared its ugly head in the deciding game of last year’s ALCS. Aaron Boone, a player who had not played particularly well in the postseason, hit an 11th inning home run off Red Sox reliever Tim Wakefield to send the Yanks to the World Series.

Students throughout campus had passionate feelings about what is now simply called “Game seven.” Loud groans and cheers could be heard from various residence halls in addition to Frank Sinatra’s “New York, New York” blasting from campus speakers.

After Tuesday night’s ALCS opener, the Red Sox fortunes seemed to follow their usual 86-year trend. Yankee starter Mike Mussina took a no-hitter into the sixth inning. Forman sat on his bed with his head in his hands, unable to watch the game. Boston eventually came within a run but could not complete the comeback.

Forman is friendly with several Yankees fans but said the hatred for the Bronx Bombers runs deep. Rooting for the Yankees, Forman said, “is like making a pact with the devil.”

For Yankees fans, October is a time of joy, usually void of Red Sox-ian heartbreak.

“It’s my favorite time of the year,” said Alex Mackler, a sophomore. “I like watching Red Sox fans’ faces when they lose.”

Although Mackler has friends who are from Boston, he said he feels “no sympathy at all” for Sox supporters.

While Mackler’s and Forman’s feelings may be common on campus, not all GW students care about the Yankees or Red Sox. Freshman Dan Klein, a baseball fan from outside of Philadelphia, can make the rare claim of apathy at this time of year.

“Now that the Phillies are out, I can really care less,” Klein said. “I’ll watch but it won’t mean much to me.”

Although Klein does not care about the outcome, he cannot avoid the rivalry that is engrossing campus.

“No matter where I go, people are talking about the Red Sox and the Yankees,” he said. “It’s all over J Street and all over the streets. It’s unavoidable.”

Sophomore Jon Jaffe, who does not consider himself a baseball fan, agreed.

“Being at GW is like being in the middle of a melting pot for this rivalry,” Jaffe said. “I’ve never seen anything like it. I live outside of New York and it’s funny seeing the two sides interact.”

As the rivalry moves forward, GW fans look toward the future. But no matter who captures the pennant, the argument between Boston and New York fans might never be resolved.

“It doesn’t matter who wins,” Forman said. “Each side will continue to think they are the best.”