Colonials fall in extra frames

The GW men’s soccer team played its first two conference home games this weekend, both of which went into double overtime. After tying defending Atlantic 10 Champion Rhode Island Friday, the Colonials fell to Massachusetts 2-1 Sunday.

The matches were mirror images of each other, as no team scored until the second half in both games. Both teams finished regulation time with one goal apiece. But while Friday’s game against University of Rhode Island ended in a stalemate, a late goal in the second overtime on Sunday gave Massachusetts the win.

Senior captain Matt Miller said his team was in good enough shape to play for 110 minutes but needed to keep their composure throughout the game.

“These are the kinds of games that hurt the most,” he said. “It’s more of the same, that we couldn’t score. We’re still looking for that link.”

The Colonials (1-7-3, 0-2-2 A-10) started out strong against the Minutemen, keeping the ball on the offensive side for most of the first half. They took eight shots on the UMass goalie, while the opponent didn’t have a single opportunity.

UMass landed on the scoreboard first with a header into the corner of the goal 17 minutes into the second half. GW answered back 17 minutes later when sophomore Jon Allen took the ball himself and beat a defender and the goalie for an open shot at the net.

In the first overtime, junior Andre Chapman came close to winning the game for GW with an outside shot that flew just wide of the goal. Both teams had two shots in the first overtime, but no team scored, forcing another ten-minute period.

With less than five minutes left in the second overtime, the Minutemen headed in a debatable goal. Positioned right on the line, freshman Matt Davis covered for junior goalkeeper Derek Biss by kicking the ball over the net, and the teams disagreed over whether or not it went in. The referees were late to make the call but ultimately counted it as a goal.

Junior Ben Mortimer said he felt “gutted” after the game. He said his team has to score earlier so they can avoid sudden death in the future.

“We’re fit enough to play,” he said. “But these games shouldn’t have to go into overtime.”

On Friday, the Colonials tied URI, the defending A-10 champions. The teams fought through two overtimes, but neither side was able to gain a lead.

GW out-shot the opponent 8-1 in the first half but couldn’t convert any of the opportunities. Three minutes into the second half, Chapman took advantage of a rebound off the goalkeeper to give the Colonials the lead. But three minutes later, the Rams tied the score, which eventually sent the teams into overtime.

The Colonials will continue conference play this weekend on the road. They will face Duquesne Friday at 7:30 p.m. and St. Bonaventure at 1 p.m. Sunday.