SA Notes

Applicants vie for new Elliott School seat

Six students submitted applications to fill a new Student Association Senate seat for the Elliott School of International Affairs. The SA added a third seat to the school when enrollment exceeded 2,000 students this year.

The Rules Committee will interview each applicant and recommend three for the full Senate to consider.

Elliott School Senator Ryan Kilpatrick said he is optimistic about more representation for the school.

“I think it is good because it means more people will represent the Elliott School. The bigger Elliott gets, the better it will be,” he said.

The new senator will sit on the Committee of Academic Affairs and his “most important responsibilities will be talking to fellow students and meeting with administrators,” Kilpatrick said.

New chief of staff begins duties

The SA officially recognized Charlie Leizear as its new chief of staff Tuesday. Leizear replaced Justin Neidig, who resigned last week, citing disagreements with the organization.

Leizear, the former deputy chief of staff, was “surprised when Justin stepped down,” but said he intends to move forward with plans for the year. The chief of staff researches bills and helps with the Senate’s administrative procedures.

Leizear interviewed over the summer for the position of deputy chief of staff and was appointed to his new position by default when Neidig resigned. He said he plans to work with the SA president, Omar Woodard, and Executive Vice President Anyah Dembling, in adjusting to his new role.

-Jenette Axelrod