Column: Epic battle looms again

If you’re a student at GW, you’re probably salivating at the prospect of the Red Sox and Yankees squaring off in the American League Championship Series.

As a Red Sox fan, I want see my team exorcise the demons from last year’s game seven meltdown and finally defeat the Evil Empire when it counts.

Yankees fans here want to see their team drive a steak through the heart of Red Sox Nation in dramatic fashion for the umpteenth time. New Yorkers would like to see their Bostonian buddies drowning their sorrows in Busch Light as they swill champagne with collars up celebrating another pennant. (I’m not bitter, I swear).

Since everyone at this school is from either New York or Boston, another New York/Boston ALCS could create enthusiasm on campus not seen since the opening of Wendy’s in J Street.

“People thought last year was wild here after Aaron Boone,” said sophomore Matt Kane, a Yankees fan. “There were fights on every block, and since then emotions for each team have only grown, I can’t imagine how many drunk fans will be arrested after it this year.”

There is no doubt a Yankees-Red Sox series would increase passions on campus. But will the stars align and allow for it to happen again? Teams do exist east of the Hudson River.

The Twins and Angels aren’t dead yet, although around campus, you might not believe that. You just don’t see too many navy Twinkees or red Halos caps. But trust me, they do exist. And as we’ve seen over the past few years, there are no guarantees for both the Sox and Yanks.

New York is facing the prospect of seeing left-handed ace and Cy Young front-runner Johan Santana twice in a five-game series (he already beat the Bombers Tuesday night). And if the Yankees lose this series, watch for an imminent eruption from Mount Steinbrenner.

Anaheim, a team oozing with offense, has the ability to come back from nearly any deficit. Also, let’s not forget that the Angels’ opponent is the Red Sox, a team susceptible to blowing nearly any lead.

But forget about the other American League contenders for a moment. Just imagine the possible match-up.

The Red Sox feature a potent offense paced by Dominican bashers Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz, and a solid pitching staff headed by 21-game winner Curt Schilling and a not quite dominant, yet crafty, Pedro Martinez, who is now sporting a clown-like afro.

Meanwhile, the Yankees’ offense, led by MVP candidate Gary Sheffield, is a modern version of murderer’s row. However, their starting pitching has been questioned all year. Even though Mike Mussina fell in a duel to Santana Tuesday night, the Yankees’ offense and bullpen may be strong enough to void poor efforts by starters.

To those watching out there: just one word of advice, especially to fellow Red Sox fans. Don’t drink too much and watch the playoffs. If last year’s experience is any indication, it isn’t very fun.