Chapman ends soccer’s skid

by Michael Tsang

Hatchet Reporter

After a five-game losing streak, the GW men’s soccer team could be back on track. On Sunday, the Colonials fought back to tie Atlantic 10 foe Fordham 1-1 in double overtime in Bronx, N.Y.

“It was great to snap the losing streak, get a result, get a point,” senior co-captain Trent Wilee said. “It was great to get one under our belt. We were down one, and we finally got that equalizer. The energy was great.”

Friday, the Colonials (1-6-2) lost 2-1 in their conference opener against La Salle (5-2-1) at McCarthy Stadium in Philadelphia.

On Sunday, the Colonials came back from an early deficit. Fordham (2-5-2) netted the first score of the game at the 7:50 mark. The Rams held the lead until junior Jon Allen got a pass from junior Andre Chapman and tied the game at one at the 52:45 mark. Sophomore Arturo Pedroso was also credited with an assist. The game continued at a 1-1 stalemate until the end of regulation and into two overtime periods.

Junior Frank Ambrosio said the Colonials played much better in the second half after some defensive adjustments.

“In the second half, we were working hard, scoring hard, we finally gave them a good fight even into the two overtimes,” Ambrosio said.

The Colonials improved their offensive production despite the one goal. They out-shot Fordham 11-4 and also led in corner kicks 6-3.

“We crashed the box on the corner kicks, crashed at the net and on the ball,” Wilee said.

During their five-game losing streak, the Colonials were shut out twice. They have been able to score more than one goal in only one game this season.

On Friday, GW took an early 1-0 lead over La Salle when freshman Greg McKay scored the first goal of his collegiate career at 14:28. Junior Steve Brown was credited with an assist, which tied him for tenth on GW’s all-time list.

However, GW’s defense collapsed in the second half, as the Explorers scored twice, the equalizer at 47:24, and the eventual game winner at 66:46. In the loss, GW out-shot La Salle 15-10.

In their next match, the Colonials will face defending conference champion Rhode Island on Friday at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex.