Bison rumble over GW

GW men’s water polo coach Scott Reed knows the Colonials are off to a tough start this season.

After falling 13-7 to No. 17 (Collegiate Water Polo Association) Bucknell Saturday, GW is now 2-10 on the year.

“We are in a rut right now, we are not converting on easy opportunities,” Reed said. “If we do not convert on our easy opportunities it’s going to be very difficult to win games.”

The Colonials, who moved to 0-2 against the Bison (10-2, 3-0 CWPA) this season, struggled to generate much offense in the loss.

GW and Bucknell were tied at two early in the first quarter, but the Bison scored three straight goals to take a 5-2 advantage in the first. By the third quarter, the Colonials cut the lead to 6-4.

But Bucknell again answered, scoring three straight goals to go ahead 9-5. The fourth quarter was more of the same for the Colonials, as the Bison scored four goals to GW’s two.

Senior co-captain Nick Koenemann had a strong game, scoring three goals, while freshman Nick Eddy tallied two goals in the loss.

“I think we will get better this season,” Reed said. “We have more than half our schedule left and I think these guys will get to the point where we will make things easy for themselves. Right now we are making things very difficult for ourselves but we got to get it going, now.”

The Colonials’ two wins this season have been over Iona College.

GW will try to get back on track Tuesday, when it faces Johns Hopkins at 7:30 p.m. at the Smith Center.