Greek Briefs

Kappa Sigma pulls plane for Special Olympics

The Kappa Sigma fraternity pulled a 150,000 pound airplane to benefit the Special Olympics of Virginia in the annual Plane Pull on Sept. 23.

The competition required teams to haul a FedEx 747 plane a distance of 12 feet. The fraternity’s 30-person team pulled the plane in 7.52 seconds, a time that was not fast enough to place in the competition.

Kappa Sigma, however, did win the “Most Spirited Team” award.

Junior Travis Geraci, the fraternity’s public relations chair, called the event an “annual philanthropic tradition.”

He said his group deserved the “Most Spirited Team” award because they were “enthusiastic” and “really loud.”

“When it was our turn … we screamed like fraternities do,” Geraci said.

In order to participate in the event, each team had to raise at least $1,000. Kappa Sigma raised more than $1,200 in donations from friends, family and companies.

The fraternity was the only Greek-letter organization present. There were more than 60 teams consisting of about 20 people each. Geraci said some of the teams were made up of firemen and military personnel.

Geraci added that many members of the fraternity are involved in athletics and choose to participate in this event because they understand the importance of the Special Olympics.

This marked the third year that the fraternity participated in the Plane Pull, sponsored by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority Police Department.

-Caitlin Carroll</i.