Dukes trip volleyball

After sweeping the GW Invitational last weekend to end a seven-game losing streak, the GW volleyball team seemed to be moving in the right direction.

However, as Atlantic 10 play began Saturday, the Colonials slid back into early season habits, losing at Duquesne 3-0.

“I honestly don’t know what’s going on, I am frustrated,” sophomore Juliene McLaughlin said. “We need to play the way we know how to.”

The Colonials (3-8, 0-1 A-10) were led by McLaughlin, who was the only GW player with double-digit kills (12). McLaughlin contributed eight digs and has been the one consistent offensive player for the Colonials this season.

The Dukes (7-7, 1-0 A-10) went on the offensive quickly, winning game one 30-21. GW put together a charge in game two but could not tie the match, losing 30-28. Down two games to none, the Dukes put away the Colonials with a 30-25 third game.

Senior Erin Trageser and junior Stephanie Hopkins both had 13 kills for the Dukes. Duquesne registered 55 digs in the sweep.

“Mentally we weren’t in it, we need to clean some things up,” junior libero Jessica Vesey said. “I put a lot of the defense on my shoulders because it’s my job. This season my defense has been in question, I need to be more disciplined but it’s also a team effort.”

Freshman Janine Brown had nine kills and sophomore setter Kaimana Lee had 39 assists in the loss. Even though the Colonials had more kills than the Dukes, GW committed 24 errors compared to just 13 by Duquesne.

The Colonials will have to wait until Friday for an opportunity to grab their first A-10 win against La Salle at 7 p.m. at the Smith Center.

Saturday at 4 p.m., the Colonials will host rival Temple, a team GW has not defeated in their last 12 meetings. During GW head coach Jojit Coronel’s tenure at GW, the Colonials have never beaten Temple.

“We want to (beat Temple) for our parents and our fans. It’s a very attainable goal,” Vesey said. “Based on our history with Temple, since I have been here it’s a mental thing. They don’t do anything that special, so it’s on our shoulders to do it.”