Greek briefs

Theta Delta Chi donates books

The Theta Delta Chi fraternity donated 152 books to West Potomac High School in late August.

The fraternity recently moved out of their house near 25th and I streets and found they had accumulated a large collection of textbooks and paperbacks. This past summer, Theta Delta Chi scholarship chair Isaac Nejako stored the books at his Northern Virginia home.

The fraternity contacted schools in the D.C. area, including the School Without Walls in Foggy Bottom, but did not receive a response.

“Instead of trying to sell them or throwing them away, we decided to put them to good use,” wrote Nejako , a West Potomac graduate, in an e-mail. “West Potomac (High School) was the first to accept the donation and was the most logistically feasible.”

-Katie Considine

Fraternity holds “car bash”

The Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity held a “car bash” at their townhouse Tuesday night to kick off fall rush and attract prospective members.

Students interested in rushing Tau Kappa Epsilon were invited to use sledge hammers to “bash” an old, white Chevrolet Lumina that was towed to campus from a northeast D.C. junkyard.

“This is stupid, yet it’s so much fun,” senior Brendon Stanton, a member of Tau Kappa Epsilon, said after taking a swing at the car.

Tau Kappa Epsilon member Kirk Williamson, a senior, described the event as “a good ‘ole fashion ruckus.”

He added that his fraternity was “doing this in a safe way.”

Before taking turns bashing the car, rushes had to sign a legal waiver and agree to wear protective glasses while denting the car. Williamson added that “glass and other safety hazards had been removed” from the car prior to the start of the event.

The 40 to 60 students in attendance were also invited into the Tau Kappa Epsilon house for a barbecue.

-Jessica Calefati