J Street: At least it’s not Taco Bell

The Marvin Center has undergone a facelift. The looks and venues have changed, so how does the food taste? The Hatchet presents its review of the new dining choices.

Tuscan Oven – pizza/Italian dishes

Tuscan Oven offers a variety of vegetarian and meat calzones and pizzas. They also have a pasta station. There are not many options, but there are more than the previous pizza restaurant. The service was fast and friendly. We ate plain pizza and a vegetarian calzone. The pizza cost $2.49, and the calzone $4.49. Both were very good, but the calzone was a little dry, and I wished that I had been given more sauce. Also, a hint for the picky eater: make sure you get your order straight from the oven so that it will be fresh. The pizza was not as good as Bertucci’s, but for the price and the speed of delivery – it was fine.

Rating: 2.5 slices out of 4

Student quote: “Not great but better than last year” – senior Zahid Vahora

Wendy’s – burger joint: well, you know

At Wendy’s, the staff was, as you would expect, efficient but not particularly friendly. We had an old fashioned double cheeseburger and a frosty. The food was the same as the average Wendy’s, which was good considering how bad the Marvin Center Burger King was. The line was daunting, but the staff’s speed moved us along at a good pace. Hopefully the line will die down after the novelty has worn off. Do not wait in line if you are looking for their clutch dollar menu – you won’t find one. But the food was tasty, and we would go back.

Rating: 4 old fashioned burgers out of 4

Student Quote: “Overall good meal. This restaurant is going places.” – senior John Grossi

Miso – a Chinese/Japanese style restaurant

The staff at Miso was very nice and knowledgeable about the food they had to offer. They had a variety of vegetarian and meat options. The line was short, and therefore the service was much faster than many of the other venues. We tried the chicken and vegetable noodle bowl and the vegetable soup bowl. None of them were very appetizing. The good thing about the food was that the vegetables were fresh, but unfortunately there were few to be found. The noodles and tofu were soggy and bland. Basically it tasted similar to a can of Ramen noodles but at six times the price. The cost of each noodle bowl – $6.49

Rating: 1 chopstick out of four

Student quote: “It’s alright … but it’s a little bland.” – freshman Michael Edwards

Baja Sol – Mexican restaurant

The menu at Baja Sol has everything from Baja style fish tacos to your plain old quesadillas, but don’t expect the be-all end-all of Mexican food. Baja Sol is understaffed; expect to wait between the time you order your food and the time you finally get to eat. We had a beef fajita burrito with a side of chips. The chips were greasy and the burrito itself was considerably bland and somewhat comparable to the burritos at some off-campus Mexican favorites. Key point: Baja Sol is a vast improvement from Taco Bell. The cost – anywhere from $ 3.99 for a taco to $7.49 for burritos.

Rating: 3 tortilla chips out of 4

Student quote: “It was relatively fresh I guess … in comparison to Taco Bell.” – senior Bill Davidson