GW in brief

Ivory Tower to house Dunkin’ Donuts, Baskin Robbins

Students who aren’t too fond of Starbucks coffee will soon be able to use their Colonial Cash at Dunkin’ Donuts when the coffee shop opens a joint Ivory Tower venue with Baskin Robbins next month.

The two shops, which are being constructed in the residence hall’s basement food court, are expected to open by Oct. 15. University officials did not previously acknowledge that the Dunkin’ Donuts/Baskin Robbins shop would be the Ivory Tower’s fifth venue because of ongoing negotiations with the two chains.

By the end of the week, three Ivory Tower shops – the Gallery Caf?, Gallery Market and Pita Pit – should also be open, said Louis Katz, GW’s executive vice president and treasurer. The three shops were scheduled to open when classes began but their opening was delayed by unforeseen construction problems.

“Given what had to happen, I think everyone did a great job,” Katz said.

-Michael Barnett

SA sponsors first town hall meeting with administrators

Top GW officials will be present Tuesday to answer student questions at the Student Association’s first Town Hall Meeting of the semester.

The meeting, “Who are GW Officials?” will feature University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg; Robert Chernak, senior vice president of Student and Academic Support Services; Dean of Freshmen Fred Siegel; and Student Activities Center Director Tim Miller.

The meeting is open to all students and will take place at 8 p.m. in the Hippodrome.

Student groups collect supplies for Afgan schools

The Afghan Student Organization will collect school supplies for underprivileged schools in Afghanistan.

The ASO, along with several other student organizations and the Gelman Library, is organizing the year-long initiative.

Student groups are asking for donations of packaged school materials and books. The Himmelfarb Library and the GW Medical School have agreed to donate medical texts.

The ASO and the Philippine Cultural Society will kick off the campus-wide drive with a Cultural Barbecue Bash on Sept. 16. Students who bring donations or who have already made a donation will receive free ice cream.

The student groups are hoping to deliver the materials to Afghan schools within one year.

Kalb Report receives grant, begins new season

GW received a grant from the Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation to fund its 10th year of the public affairs series “The Kalb Report.”

The GW-produced series will begin its new season Sept. 20 with featured guest Jim Lehrer, executive editor and anchor of PBS’ “The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer.”

The series discusses issues in press and politics with prominent guests and moderator Marvin Kalb. This year marks the second year it has received funding from the Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundation, which aims to support local and national efforts to improve journalism.

The series airs live on radio and television from its location in the National Press Club. GW produces the program in conjunction with Harvard University and the National Press Club.

Past guests include Sen. Hillary Clinton, former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, Dan Rather and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

The Chesapeake Associated Press Broadcasters Association awarded the Kalb Report “Best Public Affairs Program” on radio in the D.C. region in 2004.

Amateur Innovators pitch Ideas for contest

An amateur innovators contest took place at GW’s Lisner Auditorium last Thursday night, where 41 people pitched their ideas before a panel of judges, the Washington Post reported.

The “Ideas Happen Live” contest gave contestants three minutes to demonstrate their ideas, ranging from an invention to ensure hairstyles were well-kept till morning to generating electrical power from treadmills at gyms.

The winner, 99.5 HFM deejay Jamar McNeil, won the $2,500 prize for his idea to create a hip-hop theme restaurant chain.

The two-day contest at GW was part of a series of contests sponsored by Visa USA. A national online competition will award a top prize of $25,000.

-Caitlin Carroll