Adams Morgan basks in diversity

GW alumnus Janet Perkins echoed the opinion shared by many people at the Adams Morgan Festival Sunday afternoon.

“This is the best that D.C. has to offer,” she said.

Known for a day of cultural diversity and vibrant energy, the event showcased foods and entertainment, staying true to the neighborhood’s reputation. Offering everything from Greek cuisine to traditional Brazilian street dances, the festival catered to all tastes.

In addition to local residents, the event also attracted tourists visiting the capital over the weekend.

“I was in the D.C. area and knew that I had to be here for this,” said Maggie Fulton of Oklahoma. “I am amazed at everything there is to see.”

Located on 18th Street between Florida Avenue and Columbia Plaza, the festival featured performers on three stages. The Euclid Cultural Stage featured cultural performers including poet Naomi Ayala and?a Japanese martial arts show. The Columbia Road stage featured an eclectic mix of R&B, funk and bluegrass by artists Clyde 55 and Bobby Parker.

In addition to music, the event also hosted the work of a variety of artists.

The event was organized by the Adams Morgan Main Street Group, a non-profit umbrella organization whose members include a variety of area businesses and restaurants.

Primarily sponsored by the Washington Metro Area Dodge dealer, the event aimed at “diversifying the commercial base (of Adams Morgan), improving its appearance and promoting its assets.”

Even though food and entertainment were the main attractions of the day, the stalls and crafts booths attracted attention of visitors. Children were able to stay entertained by a youth basketball tournament, interactive science activities, a carousel and face painting.

Despite the light mood of the day, the festival did not escape the polarized political attitude of D.C. residents – campaign booths were scattered along 18th Street, and activist groups were out seeking supporters.