GW in brief

University to commemorate 9/11

In commemoration of the third anniversary of the September 11 attacks, the Student Association is holding a candlelight vigil Saturday.

The vigil will begin at 8 p.m. at the University Yard and will include speeches from University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg and SA President Omar Woodard.?The featured speaker will be Thomas J. Kuster Jr., deputy assistant secretary of Defense for Force Planning and Employment. Last year, Tunisian Ambassador Hatem Atallah spoke at a September 11 vigil.

The ceremony will honor all those who perished in the attacks, including nine GW alumni.

Two students, Cassandra Waite and Stan Dai, helped coordinate this year’s vigil. They are fellows of The Foundation for the Defense of Democracies and members of Students Defending Democracy at GW. Other organizations helping with the ceremony include the Class Council, the Jewish Student Association, the Muslim Student Association, College Democrats, College Republicans and the Newman Catholic Center.

In 2003, 600 people attended the vigil; in 2002, more than 1,000 took part in a candlelit ceremony.

-Rob Grant

Domino’s offers discount to politically polarized roommates

Domino’s Pizza is offering a discount to college roommates who can prove they are from different sides of the political spectrum.

Team Washington of Domino’s Pizza has come up with a plan to combine pizza and politics. Frank Meeks, chairman of the board for Team Washington, created the “Politics Makes Strange Roommates” promotion, which gives roommates $3 off a pizza with different toppings on each half. Roommates must also show their voter registration information as proof of their party affiliation.

“It was created to be a fun, lighthearted opportunity that would spark political discussion instead of arguments on the campuses,” said Susan Fulton, marketing director for Domino’s Team Washington, which includes all stores in the metro area. The deal ends Sept. 19.

Fulton said more than 50 pairs have participated in the promotion since it began. Domino’s stores that service both residential areas and colleges credit 70 percent of their business to college students.

Sophomore and Democrat Steve Rogers said he and his Republican roommate, Brett Hollenbeck, would take advantage of the offer “as long as it’s cheaper.”

Rogers, an intern with the Kerry campaign, said his political differences with his roommate do not affect their living situation.

“As long as you are not intolerant, it’ll work out fine and the situation will make for great debates and discussions,” he said.

Rogers decorated his side of their dorm room in the West End as a “Kerry Corner,” with more than 25 items of Kerry campaign materials. Hollenbeck’s life-size, cardboard cut-out of George W. Bush overlooks the “Kerry Corner” on the other side of the room.

-Raquel Maya