Dancing in the Moonlight

It’s sad but true – some people are simply not blessed with the ability to dance well. Like Elaine from “Seinfeld,” they struggle to master even the simplest of moves, drifting awkwardly to the beat and causing others to look on with amusement or shock. But the rhythmically challenged should not give up hope just yet. There is a simple solution.

As part of the Kennedy Center’s Prelude Festival, the performing arts center is offering free dance parties with live bands on four separate evenings in September. For those among us cursed with two left feet, instructors will provide free lessons according to with the theme of each night.

As an added bonus, the dance lessons will take place on the Kennedy Center’s newly renovated South Plaza, overlooking the Potomac River and twinkling city lights. What could be a more romantic date than dancing in the moonlight of a late summer’s night?

On Friday, Sept. 10, the La Salle Dance Orchestra will be playing for an evening of ballroom dancing. Saturday, Sept. 11 will be shag and hand dancing played by The Legendary Orioles and The Jewels; and Son Di Aqui will provide the music for salsa dancing on the following Friday, Sept. 17.

The lessons will conclude on Saturday the 18 with the Tom Cunningham Orchestra playing for swing dance lessons. So put on your dancing shoes and grab a partner for one of these exciting alternatives to the typical weekend dinner an a movie.

Lessons at the Kennedy Center South Plaza begin at 8:30 p.m. Sept. 10, 11, 17 and 18. Open dancing continues from 9 to 11 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, lessons will take place in the Grand Foyer.