GW in brief

Business school ranked 46th in the nation

The U.S. News and World Report ranked GW’s undergraduate business school in its top 50 for the fifth consecutive year.

The business school was ranked 48th out of more than 375 universities. GW’s undergraduate business specialty in international business was ranked 16th.

The rankings, which appeared in the magazine’s Aug. 23 issue, dubbed the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business as the best in the country.

The magazine determines the rankings by surveying deans and senior faculty at undergraduate business programs accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The faculty members were asked to rate, on a scale of one to five, the quality of the programs they are familiar with. U.S. News reported that 46 percent of faculty members responded.

Law school dean appointed to military legal committee

The American Bar Association appointed Thomas Morrison, Law School senior associate dean for administrative affairs, to the ABA Standing Committee on Legal Assistance for Military Personnel.

During his three-year term, Morrison will help the military and the Department of Defense improve legal assistance for civil matters. Civil matters concern the legal affairs of the estimated nine million military personnel and their dependents.

Before coming to GW in 1998, Morrison was an attorney and legal management expert in the Navy’s Judge Advocate General’s Corps.

Freshman receives award for helping homeless, unemployed

Freshman Caitlin Gorski is one of nine recipients of the 2004 Yoshiyama Award for her efforts to help decrease homelessness and unemployment.

Gorski and the other winners will be honored on Oct. 12, at the National Press Club, where the Hitachi Foundation will award each with $5,000.

Gorski has worked with social service and unemployment agencies in her hometown, Boston. She also helped organize a job fair in Boston that attracted 12,000 people and 20 employers.

She has received numerous awards for her service, including being named one of “The 20 Coolest Girls in America” in the November 2003 issue of YM magazine.

Business professors receive awards for research

Two business professors received prizes for their written contributions to research.

Robin L. Tarpley received the 2004 Notable Contributions to Accounting Literature Award and the Wildman Medal Award for a paper titled, “Evidence from Auditors about Managers’ and Auditors’ Earnings Management Decisions.”

Tarpley is an assistant professor of accounting.

The article was published in The Accounting Review. This was the first year that these two prizes were awarded to the same article.

Prabir K. Bagchi won the 2004 Accenture Award for his paper, “Integration of Information Technology and Organizations in a Supply Chain.” The prize is awarded each year to published articles about logistics.

Bagchi teaches courses in operations and supply chain management and is the school’s senior associate dean.

–Caitlin Carroll