Coggins’ brings sandwiches to Ivory Tower

While students await the completion of J Street, there’s at least one good place on campus to order fresh salads and sandwiches on GWorld – and it’s not Subway.

Coggins’ Sandwich Manufactory moved into the first floor of the Ivory Tower Aug. 25, and with few campus venues open, students have crowded its shop every day since. But GW’s new sandwich establishment is giving students reason to keep coming back.

Inside, the line wraps around the store, but the service is fast and customers get their meals without a long wait. However, one look at the wooden d?cor and assembly line behind the counter, and you may feel like you’ve walked into Potbelly’s, the local sandwich shop chain. Although there will not be any musicians strumming on a guitar from a loft above the store, Coggins’ offers a similar menu without sacrificing quality.

Customers can select from a menu of fresh sandwiches as well as tasty soups and crisp salads. Coggins’ six-inch sandwiches take classic favorites and add new twists to keep its menu original.

Classic turkey sandwich lovers should opt for “The Turkey Cool Ranch,” which layers turkey, lettuce and tomato, then ladles on just enough Ranch dressing to give flavor without smothering the bread with dressing. But the real kick is the addition of Cool Ranch Doritos stuffed inside the sandwich to give a unique crunch to an otherwise classic turkey sandwich.

Coggins’ transforms the standard Italian sub into “The Guido,” a mix of sausage, salami, pastrami and juicy peppers. Can’t make a decision as to which meat you’d like to try? Then order the “Big Daddy.” A popular menu item at Coggins’, the Big Daddy is filled with roast beef, caramelized onions, fresh turkey, salami, crisp lettuce, tomatoes and original Coggins’ sauces.

The Tunacado puts a new twist on a classic favorite by blending fresh tuna with slices of avacodo.

“The Veggie,” an eclectic blend of grilled eggplant, mozzarella and basil pesto mayo is also a great choice. “Memphis Morrie’s Pulled Pork” and “Fluffanutter and Bananas” round out the menu, making it nearly impossible not to attach yourself to a favorite bite.

For those less adventurous, customers can create their own sandwich and top it off with their own favorite condiments.

All sandwiches are served on fresh hearth-baked bread and are available with a wide selection of Coggins’ exclusive sauces and mayonnaise.

Coggins’ offers these “artful combinations, skillfully assembled” at the bargain price of $3.99 for each sandwich. For $6.29, a half a cup of chicken noodle, Italian wedding and low-fat veggie soups may be added to a Coggins’ sandwich.

The soups are served in generous portions and piping hot. Salads are also served in generous portions and several with a side of bread. But most are less than impressive, and differ little from a J Street pre-made salad to go.

Coggins’ trademark beverage, “The Frosted Cream,” a blend of custard and ice cream, is also a must-try. And why not go ahead and try the Coggicino on the way to class one morning? This icy, frothy espresso is topped off with a huge dollop of whipped cream and is sure to please even the most discerning coffee connoisseur.