J Street still unfinished

Several days after the Aug. 28 deadline, some of the new dining venues in the renovated J Street have yet to open.

Amelia Powell, Aramark’s marketing director, wrote in an e-mail Tuesday that students can expect J Street to be fully functional on Sept. 6.

Earlier this summer, Aramark, a private food service provider that operates all venues in J Street, announced they would pay about $4.5 million to renovate J Street by Aug. 28.

On Aug. 28, the first day of move-in, Baja Sol, Subway, the Tuscan Oven and Starbucks were open for business in the Marvin Center’s redesigned food court; The District Market, located on the basement level, also opened on schedule.

As of Tuesday evening, workers were still constructing several venues, and open shops such as Subway did not have menu boards. In addition, plasma television screens were not affixed to the Washington Monument-style staircase that connects the basement and first floor. The J Street venues that were not open include Einstein Bros. Bagels, Jamba Juice, the Asian eatery Miso and Wendy’s.

“It’s kind of a lackluster opening, opening when it’s half-done,” junior Emily Aaronson said on the scheduled opening day.

While Aramark insisted that J Street would be open Monday, GW officials said some venues would not be completed by that time. Debbie Wright, director of the GWorld card program, said she expects Wendy’s to open Friday, with Jamba Juice and Miso opening on Tuesday. She was unsure when Einstein Bros. Bagels would open.

Michael Peller, director of University Conferences for the Marvin Center, said Aramark and GW decided on the Aug. 28 deadline because it was the scheduled move-in day for students.

In an interview last month, Executive Vice President and Treasurer Louis Katz said Aramark would face penalties if J Street did not open on schedule. The dining service provider would not comment on whether its failure to meet the announced deadline has affected its contract with the University.

GW signed a 10-year contract with Aramark and approved the complete renovation of J Street and the Marvin Center’s ground floor in June. University officials said they looked at four or five different dining service providers before deciding to continue with Aramark for another 10 years.

“It was the right thing to do not only to grow the business but also provide the right mix of concepts for the population,” said Powell in an e-mail.

With the introduction of Colonial Cash last year, which allows students to use their points at dozens of off-campus venues, Aramark suffered a 30 percent blow to its profit margins.

“I think it was a smart move for Aramark to keep up with the competition,” sophomore Courtney O’Driscoll said.

But a half-finished J Street means students may be eating elsewhere. Last month, Katz said he was not worried that students would not have enough places to eat and noted that new eateries have opened shop in the Ivory Tower and 1957 E Street.

“Will there be plenty of places to eat? Yes,” Katz said. “Will it be what we hoped would be in place by the beginning of the academic year? No.”

GW’s dining plan was implemented to give students more eating options and force Aramark to compete with off-campus venues.

“As long as you can still use Colonial Cash at outside venues, Aramark is going to lose money,” senior Natasha Wright said.

Due to their losses in profit, Aramark was forced to lay off about 40 workers last December. Powell said they would not be hiring new employees this year but have “worked hard to create new opportunities for the team we already spent the time building.”

Despite its late opening, some students were pleased with the new J Street.

“For something that is not completely open, the food is still pretty good,” freshman Michael Simon said.

Some students said they have concerns about the prices and selection.

“I paid nine dollars for stale chips and no free refills and a cold burrito,” senior Randy Gellman said after eating at Baja Sol Tortilla Grill.

Others were upset that some venues, such as Chik-Fil-A and Taco Bell, are not returning to J Street.

Sophomore Meredith Street said, “I’m mad that there’s no chicken filet.”