Sports Briefs

Carroll fails to make the cut at U.S. Amateur

GW golfer Brian Carroll is having a strong summer on the links, despite not making the cut at the U.S. Amateur Championships.

He shot a respectable 79 and 72 in the first and second rounds, only missing the cut by one stroke. The event was held at the Winged Foot Country Club in Mamaronek, N.Y. held Aug. 16-22.

Earlier this summer, he tied for fifth at the Illinois Amateur Tournament at the Stone Creek Golf Club in Urbana, Ill. on Aug. 12.

He finished with a course record 64 in the final round after shooting 75, 74 and 73 on the tourney’s first three days. Carroll broke a record held by PGA Tour pros Mike Small and Luke Donald, who both participated in the PGA Championships this summer.

-Alan Siegel

Colonials to face Demon Deacons in season opener

The GW men’s basketball team will open its 2004-05 campaign with a match-up against top-ranked Wake Forest University on Nov. 15 in the first round of the preseason National Invitation Tournament.

For the second straight year, the Colonials begin their season in hostile territory. A year after opening the season at University of North Carolina Charlotte, GW will head to Winston-Salem, N.C. to face the Demon Deacons, a team ESPN.com’s Andy Katz ranked No. 1 in the country.

The Colonials, who lost to Xavier in the semifinals of the Atlantic 10 Tournament and fell to University of Virginia in the first round of the postseason NIT, were tabbed as the No. 37 in the nation in Katz’s poll.

The preseason NIT second round games will be held Nov. 17-19, and the semifinals and final doubleheaders will be held at New York’s Madison Square Garden Nov. 24 and 26.

This is the first time GW has faced Wake Forest since 1975-76 season. The Colonials lead the all-time series 19-14. If the Colonials can get by Wake Forest, they would face the winner of American and Virginia Commonwealth University.

GW’s only other appearance in the preseason NIT was in 1994, when it fell to Ohio University in the semifinals of the tourney.