Update: J Street to reopen by late August, officials say

Posted Sunday, Aug. 1, 3:10 p.m.
The J Street food court is set reopen by August 28 despite the fact that most dining venues are still far from completion. Only a new grocery store is close to being done, but University officials said the Marvin Center eatery will be ready when students return to campus in late August.

The firm overseeing the renovations, Bovis Construction Company, is expected to complete the renovation five days before students move into residence halls (classes begin Sept. 2).

The only venue near completion is the District Market, a gourmet grocery store with a convenience-style checkout system. Mechanical, electrical and technical work for the market is in its final stages.

The market will occupy the ground floor of the renovated building. The first floor will be home to several new dining options, including Wendy’s and Mexican and Asian venues. These eateries will replace Burger King, Chic-Fil-A, and Subway, among other venues. Einstein Bros.’ Bagels, Jamba Juice and Starbucks will remain in the Marvin Center, though their storefronts are getting facelifts.

Construction workers have also begun building a Washington Monument-style staircase that will connect the ground floor and J Street, Amelia Powell, Aramark’s marketing program manager, wrote in an e-mail. Aramark operates most of GW’s on-campus dining establishments and is paying for the renovations.

Michael Peller, director of the Marvin Center and University conferences, said the “quick time frame” of the renovations have forced workers to adjust construction plans. Workers began gutting the Marvin Center’s dining areas in preparation for the renovations in late May.

Adjustments have been necessary to accommodate national brand requirements, Peller said, where establishments such as Starbucks have standard building requirements. One such change has Wendy’s occupying Chic-Fil-A’s space rather than Burger King’s.