Bourbon chicken recipe

It’s summer in the city, and it just isn’t complete without a few annual summer traditions, like weekend beach breaks, night games at the baseball park and barbecue fresh off the grill. It’s something about the heat of the summer that draws us toward the grill to serve up juicy burgers, steaks, fish and chicken. But if you’re getting bored with the same old hot dogs and hamburgers, try this modified version of Bourbon-molasses chicken drumsticks, featured in the July Bon App?tit. It makes four servings and is a great way to impress your friends or even a date with your culinary skills whether you’re a grilling novice or a seasoned veteran.

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 cup minced onion
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup bourbon
12 chicken drumsticks

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat and add onion. Saut? for six minutes until soft. Add the next five ingredients, plus the pepper and chili powder. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes so that the sauce thickens. Stir in the bourbon and cook until heated through (about three minutes). Season with salt, if desired.

Prepare the grill using medium heat, then grill the drumsticks so that the skin becomes crisp and the juices run clear. Be sure to turn, cooking all sides (about 25 minutes). Transfer about half the barbecue sauce to a small bowl as reserve, and brush the drumsticks with the remaining sauce. Continue grilling for about three more minutes so that a glaze forms. Transfer the drumsticks to a platter and serve with the extra sauce.

For a healthy side dish, try preparing a cauliflower and tomato salad that I throw together at home. Chop fresh tomatoes, celery and red onion, amounts need not be exact. Add cauliflower pieces and mix together in a bowl with about two tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of parsley and fresh basil leaves. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over a bed of lettuce or by itself.