Column: A letter to the class of 2008

2008 seems a long time away. Believe me the years will fly past faster than you can imagine. Nevertheless, these four years are prime time to make something positive happen. This may sound selfish, but these four years are all about you. Who you are now, college will challenge and change. These are the years that mold us into what we aspire to become.

You are now officially students of an influential and world-renowned institution of higher learning. Believe it or not, it is difficult to get into this University, so do not fret over the universities you may not have gotten into, because you picked a great one. And you could not have picked a better time to attend this school. We have top-ranked programs in various fields that bring bright new students here – students just like you. In addition to academic programs, GW has a unique location; you will be able to see a presidential inauguration in just a few months. The monuments, the internship opportunities on Capitol Hill, various facets of the federal government for all students regardless of major. It is a never-ending list of locational advantages to attending this university.

Take advantage of what GW offers you. Again, be selfish; this is all about you. But never forget about others. While the Student Association strives to serve you, do not forget to do your part to make GW a better place to live and to learn. We have well over 300 student organizations for you to involve yourself in; there will never be a dull moment. The more you become involved, the better this university will become.

As President of the Student Association, my primary job is to serve you. Feel free to contact me at [email protected] or come by the SA office and visit us in Marvin Center 424. We provide many services to you, so take advantage of us. This is your time, and these next four years are yours. Take advantage of the opportunities GW affords you, and make this university a better place because you are here. I look forward to meeting you, good luck, and welcome to The George Washington University.

-The writer, a senior majoring in International Affairs and Public Policy, is Student Association President