Varsity Roundup

Lacrosse falls short of A-10 Tournament

The GW lacrosse team fell to St. Joseph’s 14-13 in its season finale April 30. The loss kept the Colonials (8-9, 3-4 Atlantic 10) out of the conference tournament.

Several Colonials picked up season awards, including freshman standout Laura Hostetler, who was named A-10 Rookie of the Year. Hostetler was also selected to the All-Conference team and set program highs in several categories, including goals (45) and points (62).

Captain Erin Berry joined Hostetler on the All-Conference team. Berry, a junior defender, set GW’s single season record with 37 turnovers forced.

Women’s basketball signs four recruits

The GW women’s basketball program announced the signing of four recruits Thursday. The Colonials strengthened their back court with the additions of guards Sara Jo Lawrence, Lisa Steele and Kimberly Beck and added a low post player in Lora Mitchell.

Lawerence, an Orange, Va. native, averaged 23.2 points per game this season and was named to Virginia’s All-State Team.

Steele, from Blackwood, N.J., could provide strong outside shooting for the Colonials. During her senior season, Steele shot 58 percent from the floor while averaging 20 points per game.

Beck, a point guard from College Park, Ga., was named first team All-State after averaging 11.2 points, 7.8 assists and 4.5 steals her senior season.

Mitchell, from Orem, Utah, will provide help down low. As a high school senior, she averaged 4.6 blocks per game to go along with 13.4 points and 11.2 rebounds, which helped her earn a spot on Utah’s All-State team.

Also, assistant coach Tori Harrison announced Tuesday that she will leave GW after five seasons to take the head coaching position at Rider University, a member of the of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

Head coach Joe McKeown was not available for comment.

-Joshua Meredith