GW golf finishes ninth

The GW golf team placed ninth out of 11 teams at the Andrea Brotto Cavalier Classic in Charlottesville, Va., this weekend.

In 12 rounds, the Colonials finished with a total score of 905, 35 strokes behind the winner, University of North Carolina-Wilmington, which finished with a score of 870.

Nine out of the 11 teams participating were from outside the Atlantic 10, including UNC-Wilmington and UNC-Chapel Hill, which are ranked No. 61 and No. 28, respectively, in Golf Week magazine’s national poll.

Despite finishing ninth, GW was only five strokes out of sixth place.

“We went into the tournament with two goals,” GW head coach Scott Allen said. “One was to be the best team from (the Mid-Atlantic) region. We also wanted to try to play well against the teams from the Southeast region. We felt like we had a chance to achieve our first goal.”

Three mid-Atlantic region squads finished just ahead of the Colonials, as Liberty shot 900 to finish sixth, James Madison shot 903 to finish seventh and Maryland finished eighth, shooting 904.rest of the season.

“We have kind of a bad taste in our mouth,” he said. “But we still think we played pretty well. I think we showed some of the other guys that we’re a little bit stronger than they previously thought.”

The Colonials will play in the A-10 Tournament next weekend in Middletown, R.I. This year, Allen said his team “has an excellent chance to win.”

In Allen’s tenure, GW’s top finish at the conference tournament has been third place. With a 23-3 record against A-10 teams this year, he said he is confident that this year’s team can crack the top three teams.

Sophomore Brian Carroll had another strong performance, finishing fourth individually with an even-par 216. Fellow sophomores Dan Mirabella and Andrew Gallo posted a 226 and 231, respectively.

“Brian obviously played very well. He finished fourth in a field where players have been in U.S. semifinals and all-conference ACC players who are going to be All-Americans this year. He’s been playing great all spring, and he did it again for us this weekend,”Allen said. “I’m also proud of Dan and Andrew, because they got off to bad starts and they worked really hard and played well on the back nine to bring in a respectable score.”

Allen said his team is disappointed it did not finish higher at the tournament but remains optimistic about the rest of the season.