GW stings Hornets

The GW men’s baseball team didn’t make it easy Tuesday, but the Colonials still came away with a victory on the road, defeating Delaware State University 10-8 to complete the season sweep. Earlier in the year GW beat the Hornets 5-1 at Barcroft Park.

Junior starting pitcher Nick Koken left the game after the fourth inning with GW up 6-2 only to watch the bullpen nearly squander the lead. Colonials relievers allowed six runs over the game’s final five innings but eventually closed the door on Delaware State (18-20).

“They kept chipping away slowly, so we knew that we would have to play stellar defense not to let them comeback and win the game,” freshman Anthony Smith said.

Sophomore Dan Pfau struggled, allowing four runs in the sixth and seventh innings. Junior Avi Rasowsky pitched the eighth and allowed one run.

Freshman pitcher Derrik Lutz closed the game for the Colonials (25-14) in the ninth. He allowed one hit but erased the base runner by drawing a 5-4-3 double play to end the game.

The Colonials’ two most productive power hitters, junior Ryan Roberson and Smith, led the offense. Smith (4-for-5, 2 RBIs) hit a solo home run in the fifth to tie Roberson for the A-10 lead with 10 homers.

“I was just seeing the ball well,” Smith said. “I got good pitches to hit, and I just capitalized on them.”

Roberson (1-for-4, 2 RBIs) answered back in the sixth with a two-run homer to re-take the league lead and help GW keep its edge.

“I wouldn’t call it a competition between the two of us,” Smith said. “We just try to hit the ball hard. I don’t put any added pressure on myself to hit home runs. I am happy when he hits one, and he probably feels the same way.”

In the leadoff spot, freshman Mickey Shupin (2-for-2, RBI) reached base five times after being hit by a pitch and walking twice.

The Colonials jumped out to an early 4-0 lead in the first inning by taking advantage of two Hornets errors. In the second, GW scored two more runs to extend the lead to 6-1 and knocked out Delaware State starter Jon Ricketts.

With a second-inning RBI double, sophomore Tom Shanley extended his hitting streak to 10 games

The Colonials will travel to Ohio for a three-game series against Dayton (17-19, 6-6 A-10) this weekend.