BREAKING NEWS: Softball coach resigns after allegations of abuse

Posted Friday, April 23, 5:45 p.m.

Head softball coach Shaunte’ Fremin resigned on Monday amid allegations that she was abusive to players and violated NCAA rules.

In a letter sent to softball players and parents on Thursday, Director of Athletics Jack Kvancz and Senior Associate Athletic Director Mary Jo Warner wrote that “ultimately we concluded, as did Ms. Fremin, that this position was not a good fit for either her or the University.”

But Fremin’s resignation, which she submitted in a brief letter on Monday, was not forced, Kvancz said Friday. The softball team’s season was canceled in March because it did not have enough healthy players to compete, which players alleged was due to Fremin’s disregard for their well being.

Kvancz said Fremin denied the allegations during the University’s three-week investigation and subsequent inquiry by an outside investigator but did not provide any substantial evidence. The report by outside investigator Robin Green Harris is “nearing completion,” the letter said.

Kvancz also said the University will self-report all NCAA violations within the next few weeks.

“The University believes there were some secondary NCAA violations, and it will be reporting its findings to the NCAA in the near future,” the letter said.

“(G)W remains committed to women’s softball and to developing the program into a competitive Division I sport. We regret the premature end of the season this year … but we are confident that the program will be back on track next season,” the letter ended.

For full story, see Monday’s edition of The Hatchet.