Tennis nets fifth at A-10s

The GW women’s tennis team advanced to the quarterfinals of the Atlantic 10 Tournament this weekend but went no further.

In College Park, Md., the No. 5 Colonials beat No. 12 St. Joseph’s Friday morning, 4-0, before falling to No. 4 Temple, 4-3, later that afternoon. GW finished the season 7-8 but rebounded nicely and won two matches in the consolation round to earn a fifth-place finish overall in the tourney.

No. 2 Xavier faced top- seeded Richmond in the tournament final Sunday with Richmond prevailing to win the conference.

“I’d like to see us obviously do a little better than fifth,” head coach Megan Wise said. “We played extremely well the entire weekend, so we’re proud of the way we fought. There’s no looking back I guess, but obviously I think we could have done a little better.”

Against St. Joe’s, the Colonials won all eight matches in straight sets and only one Hawk managed to win three games in a set. GW freshman Anne Watkins and senior Lindy First did not lose a single game.

In the quarterfinals, the opponent got tougher. GW won two out of three doubles matches to earn the doubles point against Temple but dropped four out of six singles matches to lose 4-3.

Sophomore Anastasia Skavronskaia and junior Sevla Gonca won the only singles matches for GW in the No. 5 and No. 6 spots, respectively.

Skavronskaja also played well in doubles, earning praise from her coach.

“She played extremely well,” Wise said. “She didn’t lose one singles or doubles match the entire weekend. She was the key player this weekend.”

After moving to the consolation bracket, the Colonials easily defeated Dayton and Duquesne, sweeping both matches.

Senior co-captains Nazli Gencsoy and First both played their final matches for the Colonials this weekend. Despite finishing under .500 on the year, GW won five of its last seven matches.