Sports Briefs

Colonials excel in classroom
More than 160 GW athletes were named to the Atlantic 10 academic honor roll Thursday. The honor roll includes all student athletes who have a grade point average over 3.0.

Athletes from the gymnastics, squash, men’s water polo and men’s rowing teams were left off the list as their teams are not officially recognized A-10 sports.

GW ranked fourth on the list behind La Salle, Duquesne and A-10 leader Dayton, which had 243 student athletes on the list.

The GW women’s rowing team led Colonial squads with 28 members on the list. Six of the 11 members of the golf team made the list, along with 10 of 14 members of the volleyball team and a combined 15 men’s and women’s tennis players.

Basketball players Kenan Cole, Liz Dancause, Alexander Kireev and Ricky Lucas also made the list.

Lacrosse falls to Bonnies, Dukes
The GW women’s lacrosse team struggled this weekend, losing to conference foes St. Bonaventure and Duquesne.

On Sunday the Colonials (7-7, 3-2 Atlantic 10) could not overcome an earlier deficit as the Bonnies (6-4, 3-2 A-10) rolled easily, 11-4. GW freshman Laura Hostetler was held scoreless for the first time in her career.

On Friday the Dukes (9-3, 3-1 A-10) downed the Colonials 17-10. Hostetler scored one goal, and GW freshman goalkeeper Emily Fortunato struggled in goal, saving nine shots while giving up almost twice as many goals. Junior Jamie Lee led the Colonials offense with four goals.

The Colonials next play Temple (4-6, 2-1 A-10) Friday at 3:30 p.m. at Mount Vernon.

-Joshua Meredith