GW in Brief

Hatchet awarded best non-daily newspaper in region
The Society of Professional Journalists named The Hatchet the best overall non-daily student newspaper in the mid-Atlantic region at the organization’s annual regional conference Saturday.

The Hatchet received 11 other Mark of Excellence Awards, marking 29 awards during the last three years. The prizes were given to collegiate journalists in 45 categories for print, radio, television and online reporting. Regional first place winners will compete in the national competition in New York in September.

GW is included in region two, comprised of D.C., Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina. The Hatchet took second place in the non-daily category contest last year, which includes newspapers that publish between two and four times a week.

Mosheh Oinounou, Hatchet editor in chief, and Michael Barnett, metro editor, won first place in best spot news and best online spot news for their coverage of a GW student, Ki-Seong Kim, who shot and wounded his girlfriend before killing himself last year.

Barnett also won third place in the best spot news category. Oinounou and Campus News Editor Elizabeth Chernow captured second place for online spot news reporting.

Assistant Photo Editor Jeff Baum took three awards – first and third place in best spot news photo and first place in general news photography.

Jeff Nelson, assistant sports editor, won third place for best sports column and third place for best online feature reporting. Sports Editor Brian Costa took first place for best online sports reporting.

Hatchet reporter Andy Metzger won third place for best feature reporting for a series he wrote last year on pornography.

“I think the awards really show the diversity of talents we have as we won awards in news, sports, photography and feature, as well as best overall non-daily,'” Oinounou said.
-Caitlin Carroll

Research Journal to debut this week
GW’s Undergraduate Research Journal “Inquiry” is set to release its first issue Friday.

“Inquiry,” which was established earlier this year, will publish original research from undergraduate students. Research will feature current issues and span all academic disciplines.

Four articles were selected for publication in the first issue. They will address research concentrating on political and economic issues. The journal’s feature article, “Infectious Enthusiasm,” investigates how GW students are working to find a vaccine for parasitic hookworm, a condition which affects more than a billion people worldwide.

Students to host minefield awareness benefit dinner
The Afghan and Muslim Student associations will host a benefit dinner to raise awareness about minefields in Afghanistan Saturday.

The event will take place at 7 p.m. in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom. Tickets are $10 per person or $25 for a family of four.

The Hon. Said Tayeb Jawad, ambassador of Afghanistan, and representatives from the Adopt-A-Minefield International Campaign will be among the speakers.

Adopt-A-Minefield organizers said they hope to raise $35,000 in pledges for the adoption and successful clearance of a minefield in Afghanistan.

-Bryn Lansdowne