GW falls in final

The GW women’s water polo team came close to capturing the Southern Championships this weekend but could not knock off Princeton University, as the Colonials fell to the Tigers 7-6 in the tournament final Sunday.

Trailing 7-5 entering the fourth quarter, the Colonials scored one goal but failed to tie the game. The loss marked the fourth time this season the Colonials fell to the Tigers, the No. 18 ranked team in the USA Today poll.

“They’re our rivals,” GW freshman Elizabeth Lowell said. “We’ve had close games against them in the past, and (they) are just really strong.”

In its fifth season as a varsity program, the women’s water polo team finished with a 17-10 record, three losses less than last year’s 18-13 mark. The Colonials’ Southern Championship result was an improvement from last year, when GW finished seventh.

With the win, Princeton will move on to play in the Eastern Championships next week in Lewisburg, Pa.

To advance to the finals, GW beat Bucknell University 7-6 and Villanova University 11-6.

Against Bucknell, the Colonials withstood a shaky fourth quarter and late rally to hold on for the victory. The win marks GW’s sixth consecutive victory over the Bison and third this season.

“It was a really close game,” Lowell said. “Whenever we play Bucknell it’s close, but we played well together as a team and held on.”

The Colonials jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the first quarter and never relinquished the lead, despite being outscored 3-1 in the fourth frame.