BREAKING NEWS: Student jumped from balcony, UPD says

Posted 5:40 p.m. Monday, April 19 University Police officials have preliminarily concluded that freshman Hasan Hussain took his own life Sunday night.

Hussain died from massive head trauma after plunging 80 feet from the balcony of his fourth floor room in the Hall on Virginia Avenue at 6:30 p.m. Sunday.

While city officials have yet to complete their investigation into Hussain’s death, UPD officials completed a preliminary report Monday morning that ruled it a suicide.

“Based on the scene of the incident, all indications looked to point to a suicide,” said Matt Nehmer, assistant director of Media Relations.

Citing unnamed MPD officials, the local ABC affiliate, WJLA, is reporting on its Web site that Hussain commited suicide.

Nehmer cautioned that a final verdict on Hussain’s death must be issued by the D.C. Medical Examiner’s Office, which performed an autopsy on the 19-year-old’s body Monday morning. City officials have not said when they will release their findings.

The Muslim Student Association is holding a vigil for Hussain on the Marvin Center’s third floor outdoor terrace at 9 p.m. Monday. In addition to being a member of the MSA, Hussain was an officer in the Islamic Alliance for Justice.

Log on to www.gwhatchet.com throughout the week as more details about this story become available.