SA notes

Ethics package fails in Senate

A package including legislation calling for an end to secret ballot voting and imposing term limits on senators failed in the Student Association Senate Tuesday.

Sen. Asher Corson (U-CCAS), who submitted the pieces, said he expects Sen. Ben Traverse (U-CCAS) to resubmit the legislation next year.

“The ethics package failed because parts of the Senate are still hesitant to cleaning things up,” Corson said. “I am confident that it will pass when the newly-elected Senate gets the opportunity to vote on it.”

PATRIOT Act bill fails

The Senate voted against a resolution defending students’ civil liberties in light of the PATRIOT Act, which the federal government passed after the September 11 terrorist acts to thwart similar attempts.

The act allows the government to take precautionary measures against suspected terrorists.

The resolution failed at the previous Senate meeting but was resubmitted to the Student Life Committee.

“I don’t feel like we are elected to take political stances,” said Sen. Steve Beam (U-SEAS), who voted against the legislation. “We are a branch between the students and the administration. We give funding to student groups who then take up political issues.”

Last year, SA President Phil Robinson vetoed a bill supporting a mutually beneficial relationship between Israel and the United States.

However, some students activists at Tuesday’s meeting said they were disappointed that the bill did not pass.

“It is unfortunate the Student Association does not deem the egregious violations of civil rights which are permitted under the PATRIOT Act to be directly related to the suffering of affected students at GW,” sophomore Timothy Kaldas said.

-Rachel Oswald