Greek Briefs

Pi Kappa Phi to dunk student leaders

Students can take a shot at their favorite campus leaders Thursday at the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity’s “Dunking for Disabilities” event. Proceeds will go toward Push America, a charity that benefits people with disabilities.

Students can purchase a chance to dunk leaders including Student Association Executive Vice President-elect Anyah Dembling – noon to 12:30 p.m. – College Republicans Chair Lee Roupas – 12:30 to 1 p.m. – Hatchet Editor in Chief Mosheh Oinounou – 1 to 1:30 p.m. – SA President-elect Omar Woodard – 1:30 to 2 p.m. – and SA President Kris Hart – 4 to 4:30 p.m.

Alpha Epsilon Pi to receive charter

GW’s Alpha Epsilon Pi colony will officially receive its charter Saturday at a ball at the Marriott Wardman Park.

The colony formed on campus last October, and has grown to include 61 members.

Chartering is a recognition of the “coming age as a fraternity” by the national fraternity, said Alpha Epsilon Pi president Dani Greenspan. Alpha Epsilon Pi will now be a full member of the Interfraternity Council and an official chapter.

“We’re just really excited by the success that we’ve had … We’re excited to be part of the GW community,” Greenspan said.

IFC President Ben Block, a member of Alpha Epsilon Pi, could become IFC president because Alpha Epsilon Pi national decided this fall to give the group its charter.

-Julie Gordon

Lambda Chi Alpha to hold Watermelon Fest

The Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity will be holding its annual Watermelon Fest this weekend. The festivities begin Saturday with a lip sync competition between sororities at 8 p.m. and conclude with outdoor games Sunday from noon to 4 p.m.

The event will raise canned food goods for the Capital Area Food Bank. Canned goods can be brought to the 2004 G Street house between noon and 7 p.m. on Saturday.

-Mosheh Oinounou

Alpha Epsilon Phi raises money for cancer awareness

Alpha Epsilon Phi sorority members raised $1,000 April 2 while participating in a philanthropy event for cancer research.

The Relay for Life is an annual overnight event. Teams are sponsored and members alternate carrying a baton around the course throughout the night.

Freshman Alana Franken led team members as they alternated walking for the 12 full hours during the relay. The entire event about raised about $55,000.

-Bryn Lansdowne