GW hosts Jackie Robinson week

On April 15, 1947, Jackie Robinson became the first African American to play Major League Baseball, and to commemorate Robinson’s life and legacy, the GW Jackie Robinson Society and the Multicultural Student Services Center are hosting the third annual Jackie Robinson week. Beginning Monday, several guest speakers will come to campus to discuss various aspects of race and sports.

Sociology Professor Richard Zamoff, GW’s resident Jackie Robinson expert and teacher of the course “Jackie Robinson: Sports, Race and the American Dream,” said the organizations continue hosting these events because Robinson’s impact goes beyond the playing field.

“Students can learn that he was much more than a baseball player. He was a very critical figure in American history,” Zamoff said. “There is a connection between race and sports. Through the study of sports, you can be informed about the larger society.”

The week kicks off Monday night at 7:30 p.m. in the Marvin Center Amphitheater, with a speech by GW Board of Trustees member Jean Fugett, who played for the National Football League’s Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins.

“(Robinson) was also a very critical figure in the civil rights movement,” Zamoff said. “A lot of historians think that in the 20th century, race relations are divided into two portions: pre-Robinson and post-Robinson.”

At 11 a.m. Wednesday, professor John Chalberg will perform “A visit with Branch Rickey,” a one-man play about the general manager who helped bring Robinson to the major leagues. The performance will be held in the second-floor auditorium at GW Hillel.

The week culminates Saturday at noon with the third annual Jackie Robinson commemorative baseball game between the GW baseball team and Richmond at Barcroft Park in Arlington, Va.

GW baseball head coach Tom Walter and his assistants will select a GW player who exudes Jackie Robinson’s qualities of courage and perseverance. Last year, shortstop Tom Shanley received the award.

GW softball captains Elana Meyers and Gaby Culp will throw out the ceremonial first pitches. They were chosen to represent the softball team, Zamoff said, because the team has had a tumultuous year, with its season canceled due to excessive injuries and an investigation into its coach’s conduct.

“They have overcome a lot of adversity,” he said. “They have persevered and shown tenacity in a tough situation. In essence, they represent some of the characteristics that Jackie Robinson had.”