SA notes

Senate-elect prepares for term

The Student Association Senate-elect met Tuesday to finalize leadership positions for next year.

Committee chairs are set to be Sen. Benjamin Traverse (U-CCAS) for the Rules Committee, Sen. Jordyn Cosme (U-At-Large) for the Finance Committee, Sen. Ryan Kilpatrick (U-ESIA) for the Academic Affairs Committee and Sen. Hilary Golston (U-CCAS) for the Student Life Committee.

In addition, the Senate-elect broke a tie by choosing Josh Lasky as the sixth undergraduate senator for the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences.

Senate defers civil liberties legisation

About a dozen students attended the SA Senate meeting last week to discuss legislation urging the University to uphold students’ civil liberties in light of the national government’s Patriot Act.

The Patriot Act, passed following the September 11 attacks, allows government agencies to take precautionary measures against terrorism and suspected terrorists.

Sen. Justin Neidig (U-At-Large) filibustered the bill for about 15 minutes, limiting the time that the students could speak. After the time expired, the bill was sent back to committee to remove politically-charged elements of the bill, said Sen. Benjamin Traverse (U-CCAS).

Freshman Will Donovan, a member of the Islamic Alliance for Justice who attended the meeting, said a vote was not taken for or against the bill.

“I do not believe it is reasonable of our senators to offhandedly stifle students and a student group’s attempt to make GW an accepting and affirming environment,” he said of the filibustering. “The Senate owes it to the student to let the students speak.”

The Senate will vote on the resolution at its next meeting on April 13.

-Jennifer Nedeau