Editorial: Give students a voice

The School of Media and Public Affairs recently released its report outlining recommendations to amend its curriculum. Perhaps the highest profile change is the phasing out of the Electronic Media major. And while this page generally agrees that the major needs to be revised, the administration should elicit student feedback to ensure the positive aspects of the program remain intact and dually ensure that the experience of current students is not diminished.

The report accurately points out that the EMda program is too heavily focused on practical skills. While the program should include an increase in theory based classes, teaching practical skills gives GW students a comparative edge in the labor market. Any future broadcast media major should include a healthy mix of both theory-based classes as well as those giving students hands on experience.

Initially, SMPA students were not included in the evaluation process. For the implementation committee to fashion the best program possible, it should include at least a few students to ensure that the new curriculum will create the best experience for current and future majors, while simultaneously offering suggestions on parts of the program that could be cut.

While the University remains committed to supporting current EMda majors through their graduation, many students have already seen a cut in courses offered. The University must ensure that while it phases out the program, it still provides current majors with the same experiences and courses they expected when they chose to attend GW.

The University has gone on record supporting the creation of two strong majors instead of three weak ones. This is a noble goal, however it must make sure the educational experience of students now in SMPA does not suffer.