Tennis sweeps Towson

The GW men’s tennis team swept Towson last Friday, marking the Colonials’ eighth victory in ten matches after they began the season 1-4.

Senior captain Matt Hane continued his solid play for GW (9-6, 3-2 Atlantic 10) at No. 1 singles with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Towson’s Chris Rowland.

“The key was breaking (Rowland’s) serve in the first set,” Hane said “That break really gave me momentum that carried through the match.”

A 2003 all-conference selection, Hane has been equally as dominant this year, compiling a 12-2 singles record.

Junior Matt Treadgold also stayed hot at No. 2 singles by defeating the Tigers’ Ittai Dvir 6-3, 6-3. With the win, Treadgold extended his unbeaten streak to 12 matches and improved to 16-2 overall on the season.

“He’s on a roll,” Hane said of Treadgold. “(Towson’s) top two guys are solid. It was nice to see Matt and I take care of business.”

At No. 3 singles, junior Jake Jopling defeated Towson’s Doug Ferguson 6-3, 6-3, and Junior Daniel Raisbeck beat the Tigers’ Todd Nagle at No. 4 singles, 6-0, 6-2.

Senior Brett Warner and freshman Daniel Balke completed the singles sweep with straight-set victories.

The Colonials will try to win their ninth match in 11 attempts Friday when they host Atlantic 10 foe Duquesne (1-11, 0-3 A-10).