Smith powers weekend sweep

The GW baseball team traveled to Bronx, N.Y., and swept the Fordham Rams in a three-game set this weekend. The Colonials have won five games in a row and 10 of their last 11.

“When you sweep someone, it’s really special because it shows that you are really much better than they are,” junior pitcher Ryan Roberson said.

On Sunday afternoon, freshman Anthony Smith led GW both on the mound and at the plate, as the Colonials (19-11, 5-1 A-10) beat Fordham 9-3. Smith pitched seven innings, allowing just one run while striking out eight, and went 2-for-4 with a home run and 4 RBIs.

The Colonials did most of their damage late, starting in the sixth inning with the score tied at one. GW put together a four-run rally that capped with a Smith two-run double.

The Colonials scored another four runs in the eighth, a rally that included a two-run homer by Smith, his eighth of the season. Fordham (9-19, 3-3 A-10) scored two more runs but never threatened.

“I thought we played well,” said Roberson, who went 2-for-5 with a solo home run and three runs scored. “I thought we responded really well when they scored a run or made a charge. We would just come back and score a few runs.”

In game two of a doubleheader Saturday, the Colonials’ offense overpowered the Rams, scoring nine runs in the fourth inning to open up a 13-3 lead. The Colonials had opened up a 4-0 lead earlier in the game before two errors led to three Fordham runs.

Sophomore Josh Wilkie notched the complete game victory, allowing two earned runs in a 13-5 win, improving his record to 3-2.

“I thought we had good weekend. We are starting to come together,” he said. “We have gotten good pitching and clutch hitting as well as tight fielding. I have confidence in my defense. They are usually awesome behind me, but every once in a while someone makes a mistake; everyone makes a mistake. Sometimes I throw bad pitch. It just happens.”

In game one, GW took control early and built a 7-0 lead going into the seventh, when starting pitcher Dan Sullivan loaded the bases and Rams shortstop Kevin Brush hit a grand slam, making the score 7-4. But neither team would score over the final two innings, giving GW the win.

Sophomore Tom Shanley led the way on offense, going 4-for-4 with an RBI.

On Tuesday, the Colonials defeated Delaware 11-2 at Barcroft Park in Arlington, Va. Delaware (13-11) could not hold back the GW offense, which scored all of its runs in the first four innings.

Smith had another great day on the mound, taking a no-hitter into the fifth before allowing a leadoff single to Kelly Buber. In six innings of work, he allowed only one hit, no runs, two walks and struck out nine.

Smith, the Atlantic 10 Freshman of the Week, picked up his team-leading fourth victory.

GW’s game against Coppin State was canceled Wednesday due to threat of rain. The game has not been rescheduled, but Coppin State agreed to change the location of their April 13 match-up with the Colonials from their home field to Barcroft Park.

The Colonials will host the Navy Midshipmen (8-22) Tuesday.