Varsity Roundup

Lacrosse runs over Howard

The GW women’s lacrosse team defeated Howard University 25-7 at Mount Vernon Friday, setting seven school records in the process. In the victory, the Colonials tallied program highs in goals, assists, points, shots on goal, draw controls and margin of victory.

Freshman Laura Hostetler set a school record with six goals and added four assists to total 10 points, also a school record. Junior Jenny Heisler tied a school record with five assists and had eight points overall.

Howard took an early 1-0 lead in the first half, but the Colonials responded with six goals in a span of just eight minutes.

“We started a little slow, then we picked it up,” head coach Jennifer Morris said.

The Colonials never looked back, cruising to a 16-3 halftime lead. The second half was much of the same, with dominant play by GW. Overall, 12 GW players recorded points, and freshman goalie Emily Fortunato saved eight shots in the win.

The Colonials will now have a week to prepare for the start of conference play Friday, when they face the University of Richmond at home. To this point, Morris said she believes that with a record of 3-5, her relatively young team hasn’t achieved as much she hoped.

“We’ve definitely lost a few tight games that we would have liked to have won,” Morris said.

Subir Grewal

Men’s tennis takes two

The GW men’s tennis team won both of its matches over the weekend without surrendering one point. The Colonials defeated Duquesne Friday 7-0 and Radford 4-0 Saturday.

Saturday’s match was decided when GW went up 4-0 and both teams agreed to stop play. Senior captain Matt Hane, who won both his matches this weekend, said the match Saturday was much closer than the score indicated.

“If we played out the rest of the matches, the score may have been 4-3,” he said, adding that strong doubles play has been important this season.

“One of the keys for us is doubles,” he said. “We have not lost a match when we win our doubles matches”

Junior Matt Treadgold continued his strong play, winning twice this weekend. The Colonials (11-6) will face St. Bonaventure Thursday.

Women’s tennis defeats Duquesne

The GW women’s tennis team beat Duquesne 5-2 Friday, its third victory in a row.

The Colonials began the match by winning all three doubles matches, which head coach Megan Wise said has been very important to her team’s success.

“We haven’t been winning our doubles matches, but we’re starting to,” she said. “It’s been huge for us.”

Senior Lindy First, junior Natasha Bode and sophomore Anastasia Skavronskaia all picked up victories.

“The girls are playing with a lot of confidence right now,” Wise said. “And we should be going into the (Atlantic 10) Tournament with a lot of confidence.”

The annual tourney begins April 16.

Fifth-year player Cathy Joens was named All America Honorable Mention by the Associated Press this week.

She averaged 19.4 points this season for the GW women’s basketball team and was selected as the co-Atlantic 10 Player of the Year. Joens was one of only two players in the country to finish the season averaging more than 19 points, six rebounds, three assists and two steals a game.

The six-foot guard finished her career as the Colonials’ third all-time leading score.

Alan Siegel