Nation in Brief

DNA exists from rape involving player

(U-WIRE) BOULDER, Colo. – A police report made public Thursday shows DNA evidence exists that supports a claim made by a woman in the summer of 2000 that alleged a now-former Colorado University football player raped her after a high school graduation party weeks before he was to join the team.

The former player, who had already received his football scholarship but was waiting to begin practice, also attended the Dec. 7, 2001, party at or after which three women claim to have been raped by CU players and/or recruits.

The Aurora Police Department report represents the eighth allegation of rape against a CU football player or recruit since 1997.

The police report said that a Colorado Bureau of Investigation examination concluded that the player’s DNA matched evidence taken from the victim’s anus.

The report also stated that DNA evidence from the woman came not only from the player in question but also another man.

Schools that ban military recruiters could lose funds

(U-WIRE) MADISON, Wis. – A bill referred to the House of Representatives Tuesday may strengthen an act that restricts funds from federal agencies to colleges that bar military recruiters from their campuses.

The Solomon Amendment, already a law, is supported by a bill that has not yet been passed but was approved by the Armed Services Committee last week.

Lawsuits disputing the constitutionality of the Defense Department’s interpretation of the Solomon Amendment have been filed by organizations at a dozen universities, including GW and the University of Pennsylvania.

The bill would require colleges to treat military recruiters the same as other recruiters and provide for them “entry to campuses and access to students that is at least equal in quality and scope to that provided to any other employer.”

compiled by Michael Barnett and Julie Gordon