GW in brief

Student wins “GW’s strongest man” competition

Law student Nick Maceus took the title of “GW’s strongest man” Sunday morning after a five-event contest. Maceus won an airline ticket to anywhere in the United States.

Maceus and three other students – sophomores Adam Nichols and Daniel Harlow and law student Lenwood Faullon – partook in the contest.

“It’s great to be GW’s strongest man,” Maceus said. “Its good to take a break from studying and work-out.”

The event was sponsored by the men’s spirit squad, which raised $125 – about half the expected profit. Members of the squad attributed the low participation to the 10 a.m. competition time.

For the truck-pull, contestants strained to pull red pick-up trucks across the Quad. Maceus pulled the truck to the finish line in 18:23 seconds and won the event. Harlow pulled the truck in 19:41 seconds taking second place. Zipcar donated a truck for the event.

Maceus also took first place in the Scottish log event, where he lifted a log above his head for 13 repetitions. Nichols and Faullon tied for second with 12 repetitions.

WRGW broadcasted the event, while cheerleaders and dance team members cheered on the contestants.

The teams spent two months preparing for the event, collecting donations from GW area companies, said coordinator Mark Moses. RCA donated a MP3 player and Under Armor, an athletic apparel company, donated bags with athletic accessories and a free T-shirt.

Jennifer Cernitz

Students to speak at Democratic National Convention

To provoke interest among young people in the political process, the Democratic National Convention Committee is offering an essay contest which will allow winners to speak at the National Committee this July.

The 2004 Democratic National Convention will be held in Boston, Mass., July 26 to 29.

The contest, “Speak Out for the Future,” is open to 18- to 24-year-olds.

Contestants must write on the topic, “Why is politics important to young adults and how can we get more young adults involved in the process?” The winner will address the Convention on prime-time television.

All 300-word essays must be submitted online to www.dems2004.org or mailed to the DNCC Boston office. More information about the contest is available online or by calling 1-888-DNC-ESSAY.

Students take interest in Supreme Court case

GW students camped outside the U.S. Supreme Court building Tuesday for the chance to nab tickets to the landmark case regarding the Pledge of Allegiance and its statement “Under God.”

“I’m pretty excited. I thought it was going to be an important case,” junior Lauren Dawson told the Kansas City Star.

Dawson, the first person in line for tickets to the case, arrived early Tuesday afternoon to get her place.

Dawson spent the night with a group of nine other GW students of divided opinion about the issue.

Justices heard the case because Californian atheist Michael Newton sued over the pledge and its statement “Under God.”

Hundreds turned out in support and criticism of Newton’s position.

Bryn Lansdowne