Students strut their stuff for charity

Members of the Greek-letter community strutted down the catwalk Wednesday night, raising $6,000 for breast cancer care. About 200 members of the community cheered their friends on as students-turned runway models attempted their best imitations of Paris models.

The Masquerade Fashion Show, with a Mardi Gras Dixieland theme, was the finale to a three-week effort to raise money for the non-profit organization.

The show, held in the Marvin Center’s Betts Theatre, was sponsored by the Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Association and Multicultural Greek Council. Fraternity and sorority members modeled apparel from DKNY, Diesel, and Dolce and Gabbana designers. Local businesses from around the GW community including Tickled Pink, Fornash Designs and All About Jane donated the clothing.

“The last three weeks and tonight’s event have been unbelievable,” said senior Daryl Muller, IFC fashion show chair. “Tonight has definitely exceeded our expectations. The models were awesome, and we are so thankful for all of the donations we have received from the local community.”

Two members of the Delta Gamma sorority, Kelly McLaughlin and Luci Shanahan, and Sigma Phi Epsilon member Ryan Fitzgerald emceed the event as 21 members of the Greek-letter community modeled fashions.

The event began with a slide show of photographs from student trips to Mardi Gras, and the stage was decorated with statues of brass brand instruments, feathered masks and bright waves of fabric to create the Bourbon Street theme.

Brian Elkins, a sophomore in Kappa Sigma, showed his enthusiasm for the event, yelling out, “Anything for breasts!” before it began.

This year’s philanthropy, the GW Mammovan, sponsored by the GW Hospital, was founded in 1996 and provides mammograms for women with little to no insurance in the District and the greater D.C. area.

The van is equipped with state-of-the-art technology, a waiting area, VCR, two dressing rooms and a mammogram suite.

“Its such a great thing for the Greek community to come together and make a difference for this cause,” said Sage Green, a freshman in Sigma Kappa. “Especially since a lot of our mothers are at the age when breast cancer starts to become a threat.”

D.C., has the highest rate of breast cancer deaths in the country, said Jean Lynn, program director for the GW Mammovan. Lynn said the van has helped as many as 66,000 women in the D.C. area.

“The crowd was really great tonight, I think it went really well,” said Panhellenic Association President Courtney Tallman.