Greek Briefs

Pi Kappa Alpha recieves charter

GW’s Pi Kappa Alpha colony took its first step toward full fraternity status Saturday after its international organization approved the group’s charter request.

Members of the group said they expect to receive a charter from the University in April, which would elevate the group to full fraternal status. Fraternity status would enable the group to be a permanent member of the GW community, said John Van Name, vice president of the colony.

The group is currently recognized by the University and allowed participation in all Greek-letter events.

The colony formed at GW in the spring of last year. Since then, the colony has accumulated more than 4,000 hours of community service in hopes of gaining status as a fraternity on campus. The group currently has more than 70 members.

The regional president, alumni advisers and members of other local Pi Kappa Alpha fraternities unanimously voted for the colony’s charter after a full day inspection of the group.

Fraternity bounces for charity

The Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity raised $2,400 for the Pediatric AIDS Foundation Friday while bouncing basketballs for more than 12 hours in a row.

In support of its annual philanthropic event, the fraternity took donations at the Foggy Bottom and Farragut West metro stops. Fraternity members took hour-long shifts bouncing basketballs, in which each bounce represented a child’s heartbeat.

“It’s a great time,” said junior fraternity member C.J. Chido. “The entire chapter was having a good time.”

-Bryn Lansdowne