Baseball takes two from UVM

The GW baseball team took two games from the University of Vermont in a Sunday doubleheader at Barcroft Park in Arlington, Va. Saturday’s scheduled game against Vermont was canceled because of rain.

GW (5-7) got strong pitching performances, especially from junior Dan Sullivan, who pitched all seven innings of the 4-2 victory in game two. He gave up two runs on eight hits, and the game was shortened due to the previous day’s rainout.

Sullivan walked three and struck out seven, just one strikeout more than freshman Anthony Smith, who pitched six innings of the Colonials’ 9-3 victory in game one and allowed two earned runs.

Head Coach Tom Walter praised the work of his pitching staff but attributed the wins to the Colonials’ timely offensive production.

“We need to swing the bat,” he said. “We are built on our offense and on our strength in the bullpen. We can hold off a team with our pitching, but we need to score runs to win games.”

Game one showcased the Colonials’ offense.

The barrage began with the Colonials trailing 1-0 in the fourth inning. Junior Brad Rosenblat homered over right field at the top of the inning, driving in senior Jeff Fertitta to put GW up 2-1.

In a pinch-hitting opportunity, Smith knocked in two runs in the bottom of the fifth. The Colonials added four more runs in the sixth to go up 6-1 and effectively seal it for GW.

Game two was much closer than the first, as the Colonials had to come from behind to win. GW was in the hole early, falling behind 2-0 on two RBI singles by the Catamounts (0-2) in the first inning.

After adding a run to cut the lead to 2-1, Smith homered over the left-centerfield fence to go up 3-2. Fertitta’s sacrifice fly scored the Colonials’ fourth run.

Sullivan pitched seven strong innings, striking out seven while scattering eight hits.

Sophomore Tom Shanley’s nine-game hit streak also ended this weekend. The infielder had a hit streak of 15 games last season.

The Colonials will face Maryland-Baltimore County Tuesday at 2:30 p.m.

“We’re confident with the new talent we have on the team,” Walter said. “We’re going to train on our usual program for the upcoming games. We’re a strong team. We need to keep our offense strong.”