Softball team earns first win

The GW softball team hosted the GW Invitational this weekend at Mount Vernon field, winning its first game of the season while dropping three.

The Colonials (1-5-1), who were battling several unspecified injuries, opened the tournament by beating Manhattan College (2-3) 4-0. Freshman Gabby Culp pitched her first collegiate shutout in the victory, allowing three hits and two walks after striking out ten batters.

“The fact that we were able to take the field today, I feel, is an accomplishment in itself as the team played through a lot of injuries this weekend,” freshman Sara Neumann said. “Everyone is stepping up when we need them to. Tonya Brown played a strong right field, and Kristen Miller stepped in behind the plate when we needed.”

The Colonials scored in the first inning against Manhattan when sophomore Elana Meyers came home on an errant throw by the Jaspers after a hit by freshman Lisa Cohen.

In the fourth inning, the Colonials scored three runs, beginning when freshman Katy Harrigan hit a double, stole third base and eventually headed home on an RBI single from freshman Collen Kegler. Sophomore Kristen Miller and Meyers would later score in the inning on a single by Cohen.

The Colonials fell to the Colgate Raiders (5-0) later in the day 3-0. Colgate pitcher Kate Howard shut out the Colonials, allowing only two hits in the five innings played.

Both games Saturday were limited to 90 minutes to avoid cancellation on the non-lighted Mount Vernon field. Other scores at the GW Invite Saturday were as follows: Mount St. Mary’s over Manhattan, 6-5; Colgate over Mount St. Mary’s, 7-1; and Colgate over Manhattan, 3-0.

GW lost both of its games Sunday while its final game of the tournament against Mount St. Mary’s (1-3) was cancelled due to impending darkness.

Sunday began with an 8-1 loss to Colgate, as the Raiders jumped on GW early with two runs in the first and third innings.

The Colonials got their only run in the third when freshman Melanie Lewis singled, took second on a sacrifice bunt by sophomore Tonya Brown, and scored after a triple by Meyers.

The Raiders responded with two more runs in both the fourth and fifth innings to finish the scoring.

In their final game of the tournament against Manhattan, the Colonials lost 6-0. Manhattan pitcher Colleen Horgan allowed only three hits in the shutout.

“We will prepare for the next game by getting everyone healthy and getting everyone on the field,” Neumann said.

Sunday’s results also included Colgate defeating Mount St. Mary’s, 3-0, and Manhattan defeating Mount St. Mary’s 5-2 in eight innings.

The Colonials’ next game is a doubleheader Tuesday at home against the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore at 2 p.m.