Chappelle riles up full house

Comedian Dave Chappelle entertained a sold-out Smith Center Saturday night with jokes about marijuana, masturbation and race.

Chappelle, 30, is known for his role in the cult classic “Half Baked,” and stars in hi own television program, “Chappelle’s Show,” which airs on Comedy Central Wednesday nights at 10:30. He also performed at GW two years ago.

“The first clue that the sniper was black was when he started taking weekends off,” said Chappelle, who continued throughout the night to make jokes about controversial topics.

Chappelle talked about Elizabeth Smart, who was found last March after being kidnapped eight miles from her home.

“That would be like me getting kidnapped in Georgetown and taken to Silver Spring. I would just jump on the red line and say ‘take me home,'” said Chappelle, a D.C. native.

Chappelle took the stage a little before 10 p.m. after comedian Greer Barnes, who also appears on “Chappelle’s Show,” opened the show.

“I loved when he went on a rant on his bedroom habits and masturbation and having sex with monkeys,” said Jason Lagria a first-year law student.

The actor-comedian also tried to field requests from the audience throughout the show.

“This is not TV, I can hear everything you say,” Chappelle joked. “I can’t act everything out I’m only one man, buy the DVD,” he said before giving in and performing a few lines as his Rick James persona.

Program Board officers, who brought Chappelle to GW, said they chose him because of his success at GW two years ago.

“We all like his show and we were tossing around ideas and he was so good last time,” said Josh Hartman, PB parties chair.

The show came hours after a men’s basketball game against Richmond.

“We had a really quick turnover in setting this show up after the basketball game this afternoon. The Smith Center is really incredible,” Hartman said.

According to Clear Channel College Entertainment’s Web site, Chappelle has an asking price of $50,000 per show. Students paid $20 for admission.

“The price was definitely worth it,” freshman Meredith Slater said. “I’ve only watched his show a couple times and I was very impressed.”

“I thought it was hilarious and he played off the crowd well,” said Joy Olson, a sophomore. “I was surprised at how many anti-smokers were in the crowd that didn’t enjoy the smoking jokes.”

Chappelle lit up a cigarette midway through his set despite a woman’s shout that she had asthma.

“Since we’re in a stadium I’ll take a gamble that you’ll be OK,” he replied. “I remember one time someone also asked me to stop smoking. I was on my way to an orgy.”

Other students, however, found some of Chappelle’s humor offensive.

“I though the Native American jokes were very offensive,” said first-year graduate student, Mike Trask.

Chappelle closed his show with a story of a run-in with a Native Americans in New Mexico.

“There are no mainstream Native Americans that have a voice to give a response. It was too drawn-out and had a weak ending,” Trask said.

Zan Sabini, PB concerts co-chair, said she is working on planning PB’s Spring Fling act.

“It should all be announced within the next few weeks,” she said.

Chappelle’s performance sold out four days after tickets went on sale, Sabini said.

About 4,400 students attended the show, part of PB’s Winter Hoopla.

Chappelle’s final line as he walked off the stage was his trademark, “I’m rich bitch!”