SA Notes

Fake candidate mocks elections

The Joint Election Committee is investigating ghost candidate Tom Quigely, a false presidential hopeful whose posters can be seen around campus, said John Plack, JEC chair.

Quigely’s posters covered some legitimate candidates flyers, with phrases intended to mock the election, including “Vote for Tom Quigley: I lived next door to you last year.”

The student who invented Quigley as a candidate, who wished to remain anonymous, said University Police officers caught the campaign team hanging posters Friday night.

“They asked us who we were, even though they didn’t seem interested in who (Quigley) was and why we were destroying other people’s property,” the campaign manager said earlier this week. “Then he suggested we stop putting up signs that night. So we took a break that evening. We’ll be back up tonight.”

The student, a senior, said he has some political experience from his high school days. He also attempted to campaign Quigley as Thurston Hall president three years ago and garnered several votes.

The student said he “wanted to trivialize the elections” this year because he thinks they are not very important.

-Jennifer Nedeau

SA expands graduate student services

Student Association President Kris Hart is planning a week-long event in March to improve graduate student services.

GradLife week, scheduled from March 8 to 12, will feature a variety of events designed to increase contact between graduate students and the SA, Hart said.

“One of the biggest areas where we’re lacking is in our services to grads,” Hart said.

Events will include a reception at the University Club, a sponsored episode of CNN’s “Crossfire,” a Career Center forum and “GradNite” in the Hippodrome.

Students can find out more information about GradWeek by e-mailing [email protected] or visiting the Web site at http://gradlife.gwu.edu.
“The Web site will be an epicenter of resources and direction,” Hart said.

-Tiago Forte

Election polling locations

Students can vote for Student Association, Marvin Center Governing Board and Program Board officers Thursday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

The Marvin Center ground floor lab and Thurston Hall lab will offer computerized voting. Paper ballots are available in the Law School, Ross Hall Levine Lounge, Mount Vernon Pub and Funger and Monroe halls.

-Julie Gordon