Around Campus

Hall of Government construction to end in June

Renovations in the Hall of Government are scheduled to extend through June. Refurbishment began in September 2003 and was set to end in late January.

Michelle Honey, director of Architecture, Engineering and Construction, said the University is “completely renovating the basement of the Hall of Government to accommodate the Speech and Hearing Department’s relocation from Funger Hall.”

Construction is currently taking place from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily. The staircase on the 21st Street side of the building is also closed.

Honey said the University has taken steps to ensure that construction will not inconvenience students.

“Construction has been carefully coordinated with departments to minimize disruption, noise and other inconveniences,” she wrote in an e-mail.

University promotes diversity discussions

The next “R.E.A.L. Conversation” will take place Monday evening and will focus on diversity in politics.

The Student Activities Center recently began its R.E.A.L. Conversations series, which provides a “safe environment for what are often difficult conversations,” said Tim Miller, associate director of SAC.

Coordinator for Student Involvement Martine Philogene facilitated the most popular program thus far, “Interracial Dating on Campus,” held Feb. 9 in the Marvin Center.

Researchers analyze astronaut safety

GW researchers were recently awarded a $300,000 grant to study astronaut safety.

The Board of Directors of the Space Shuttle Children’s Fund gave out the funding. Researchers will use the two-year grant to examine the aspects of space safety for humans in the past, present and future.

Researchers from GW’s Space and Advanced Communications Research Institute and the Space Policy Institute will be in be in charge of the study.

Study results will go to help minimize risk to astronauts in the U.S. shuttle programs, the International Space Program and future space programs.

GW collects award nominations

Students can submit nominations for GW’s 19th annual Excellence Awards until March 5.

Eight awards will be given out later this semester to students who contributed to the GW community, including “Learning Through Action” and “The Pyramid Award for Registered Student Organization,” among others.

Applications are available online at http://www.gwired.gwu.edu and can be submitted to the Student Activities Center.

-Bryn Lansdowne