Editorial: Farcical SA endorsements

It is difficult to fathom that the GW College Democrats and the College Republicans are two of the largest and most well-funded groups on campus, given the amateur handling of their endorsement process for Student Association candidates.

Each of the past two years, prominent CRs and CDs have secured the endorsement of the other organization. This is due in large part to the lax voting regulations both organizations enforce during the endorsement process. Both organizations allow paid members to vote in the process and accept payment at the door of the endorsement meeting. This has allowed this year’s presidential hopeful, Lee Roupas, and last year’s winner, Kris Hart, to bring their supporters to the door, pay the fee and vote in absurdly large numbers, resulting in a CD vote that does not reflect the ideology of organization.

Logically, it is difficult to justify that a national leader of the CRs like Kris Hart would ever receive the CD endorsement under normal circumstances. The CDs and CRs need to shape up and limit endorsement voting to either the executive boards of the organizations or to members who registered in the early part of the year. If they want to rationalize their large SA allocation budgets to the student body, they should take this nomination process more seriously.